Friday, January 2, 2009

Lessons I've Learned From My Kids


I never thought, before becoming a parent, that my children would teach me as many things as they already have. Children have a way of unknowingly showing us some of life's most valuable lessons.

I remember one time when Aden was 2 years old and I was pregnant with Emma, we were headed into town and Aden was screaming about wanting to go to Chick Fil A. We had already explained to him that we were going to go there after we stopped at a few other places. He refused hear us beyond the fact that we weren't going to Chick Fil A at that exact moment. Well suddenly it was like God has smacked me in the face with a realization...How often do we "scream" at God because we aren't getting what we want when we want it, when all along God has something that we will truly be blessed with in store, but we have to go through the trials to get there? It was like God was telling me, "You know what you have planned for Aden, you know it's good, but he just isn't listening. You just wish he would quiet down and listen to you and trust that you are going to do what you told him you would do. Well that's how I feel when you are too busy worrying about this and that and not trusting me to always take care of you. I am your Heavenly Father and I always have what's best for you planned out, in my time. All you need to do is trust me."

My children have taught me that the things that are most precious and important in life aren't things you can buy. They are things such as taking my kids to the park when my house is in disarray, taking the extra time to let Emma help me unload the dishwasher while we sing songs together, letting Aden help me bake cookies then not getting upset with him when he sneaks 7 of them while i am rocking Emma! It's letting my kids make messes and not getting upset when they spill or break something. It's reading Aden one more book at bedtime just because. It's rocking Emma to sleep before nap time even though it might spoil her. It's turning off my music and singing kids songs all the way to town and back. It's big hugs from Aden and open mouth kisses from Emma. It's Jon taking time to slip his fingers in mine while we hurry on our way somewhere. It's taking time to say I Love You and MEAN IT! It's taking time to laugh at myself. It's making those memories that will last forever and can never be taken away!

No comments: