Monday, January 26, 2009

Me: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I am a complex person, always have been. I remember when I was first getting to my husband he told me that he is able to figure out people pretty easily but after 6 years of being together he now tells me that in some ways he still doesn't have me figured out. Oh don't get me wrong, he definitely knows me like nobody else does and there isn't a thing about myself and my life that he doesn't know well. He just can't figure out my moods! I'm very moody and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I just don't fit into any prefabricated mold this world tries to put people into. For instance some have classified me as shy or quiet, but if you get me with people that I am comfortable with I'm not at all shy. Put me in a group of people that I am not comfortable with or a group of complete strangers and yes I tend to go into my shell of quietness. Some people have classified me as a county girl because I grew up in the country and don't have much big city experience. While I am not in love with big metropolises and when in one feel very out of place and lost, I do NOT enjoy camping and hunting and am quite fearful of bugs and all the creepy crawlies the county has to offer. I love to shop and go to restaurants and plays and ballets so in that way I prefer the city, but I also love to be outside on a spring or fall day and hear the birds chirping, see the brilliant blue sky and be "a million miles" away from any traffic or modern noises, so in that way I prefer the country. I hate apartment or townhouse living. Give me a home on some substantial acreage any day of the week! So I see myself as someone who definitely enjoys visiting the city but I always want my home to be in the country! I adore cooking and baking! It is therapeutic and rewarding for me to spend time in the kitchen making delicious meals. I wish I had more friends who were daring and would come to dinner parties and try new different dishes. Alas, most of my friends and family like tried and true meals. At least I have a husband who enjoys trying new things and loves for me to test out new recipes on him. I would love to write my own cookbook one day. Along those same lines, I have always had a passion for writing. I can best express myself through written or typed words. People can best get to know me, the real me, through what I write. This is why I prefer email or snail mail to phone calls! I dream of having some of my writings published one day. I think I have a knack for decorating. If I had finished college I would have gotten my degree in interior decorating, but my deepest desire and dream was always to be a wife and stay at home mom, it was NEVER to go to college. (And of course my teachers and principle in high school thought I was nuts, because I was a straight A 4.0 student my whole life. While in college I was on the presidents list with a 4.0. Learning has never been difficult for me but has also never been my passion.) I get the redecorating bug at least twice a year and think of all the ways I would love to redecorate my home. I hate and love parties. I hate parties where I don't know everyone and I do mean everyone. I LOVE parties with my friends or family and would love to entertain in our home about once a month if it were possible. I love love love my friends. I am an only child and therefore don't have siblings, so my closest friends are like siblings to me. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for them and I always worry that they don't know what they truly mean to me. I put alot of importance on quality friendships, not quantity. I've always been that way, that is why my best friend in the whole world and I have been friends since we were in 6th grade. Except for that one year, we have always lived 2-3 hours apart, but that has never hindered our friendship. I love snow! I'm like a little child whenever winter comes and hope for snow every single day. I love the sound of peace that snows brings with it and the beauty of snow blanketed scenery. We do not get nearly enough snow in Virginia anymore which makes me very sad. I love my children with a love that can't be described. It must be the closest thing to the love God has for us that I have ever experienced. So unconditional and accepting and protective. My husband is my dream come true, literally and figuratively. I have known since a young age, around 10, that God had a very special man out there for picked out just for me. I knew he was incredible and amazing and my whole teen years were spent looking forward to the day i would meet him. (I met him at 18 and married him at 19.) There aren't enough words or time to express how much I love this man. When I was 16 I had a dream that I recorded in my journal...my dream was that I the man I was meant to marry was named Jonathan...I married Jonathan Melton! (I didn't remember this dream or writing it down until 2 years after we were married when I stumbled across the old journal!) I like simplicity. I crave it actually. I hate this hurried paper plate society we live in today. We are constantly discarding the old for something new and "improved". I want my kids to be kids...to enjoy their childhood without being so involved and busy with "things" that they miss out on the freedom and carefree days of childhood. I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior when I was 5 years old. I remember the day very clearly! Since then I have strived to live a life that is honoring to Him. My relationship with the Lord is what keeps me going. I pray that my kids will accept Him at an early age and build their own personal relationship with HIm too! I could go on forever, but my baby girl is awake now so I must wrap this up. I hope this gave you a little insight into who I am and what i am about!

3 comments:

Megan said...

You are such a great person! I really feel like we have a lot in common and can't wait to get to know you better :)

Charlotte said...

I have enjoyed reading some of your blog. We have a lot in common. I rarely cook the same thing twice! The piece on your mom was really beautiful.

Unknown said...

:) I am so glad you have a blog to get some of your thoughts out b/c you have a lot and they are good.
Love ya~Julianna