Sunday, February 15, 2009

30 Day Challenge

My best friend challenged me to a 30 day challenge of edifying my husband. It came from a website she was introduced to through her church (at least I think that's how it goes!) and when I read the instructions I was inspired to take part in this challenge. Basically for 30 days you have to be positive about your husband and build him up. This means no negativity, discouraging words, complaining about your husband to him or about him to others and overall being an encouragement to him. There are specific things you are supposed to do each day throughout the 30 days. (Kind of like in the that movie Fireproof.) When I accepted the challenge I thought to myself that it sounded rather easy because I make it a point to say uplifting things and expressions of gratitude to my husband every day. Well man was I wrong. After the 2nd day I got lazy and gave up on the challenge. I kept saying that I would start it again the next day. My best friend also had a difficult time and sort of let it fall by the wayside. After trying to ignore it for two weeks I realized this was something I must do. I realized that if I truly love my husband I should be willing to be a better wife to him, to build him up and encourage him and to do this 30 day challenge. I know there are blessings to reap if I do. Our marriage will be stronger and our love will grow deeper. So I extended the challenge to some other Christian girlfriends last week. Sadly only one accepted the challenge, but we are going to pray one another through this! Knowing I have accountability will help! I have also decided to blog about how each day goes, another way of being held accountable! So you will get to read my journey through the next 30 days of becoming a more positive encouraging wife.
Day One- "The heart of her husband safely trusts her; so he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life." Prov. 31:11-12 Today say thank you to your husband for choosing you to be his wife. (And in all the 30 days be positive, say nothing negative about your husband to him, or to others and say something your appreciate about your husband to him and to someone else)
So day one's result...I FAILED miserably. I woke up grumpy and carried my grumpiness over into the whole morning. I definitely was not appreciative toward Jon and I definitely did not tell him that I was thankful he chose me to be his wife. That's ok. I am a work in progress and God is not done with me. I have decided to still salvage the few hours we have left before bed and be extra kind to him and tell him that I am so blessed that he chose me to be his wife! It's never too late to do what is good and right.

Tomorrows challenge:"...through love serve one another." Gal. 5:13b
Praise your husband for the service he does around the house and for others.
I'll let you know how it goes...say some prayer for me!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds tough but necessary. I'll do it with you...

Stefanie aka Mommy to Aden and Emma said...

Here is the link I am so happy you want to do this. You're right it will be tough but very much worth it. It will bless us and our husbands and strengthen our marriages!

http://www.reviveourhearts.com/challenge/